So of course the moment I get rolling on my Aeldari Apocalypse force, I also get strongly tempted by the new rules of the Genestealer Cult codex. Readers of my updates will see a fair amount of vacillation between the two (and also dabbling with like three other armies, gah). While the previews for Genestealer Cult kind of got me down on them ultimately (or maybe, more clearly, it was leaks for other forces like Aeldari and Tau previews for Custodes)–the book really did deliver what looks like a lot of fun.
So I’m going to be sort of exploring a two-pronged approach. I’ll see if I can’t work on both forces at the same time. I’m going to do up a similar thing to my Aeldari Apocalypse picture for the GSC. And we’re kicking off a campaign at my local store, and I’m leaning toward using Genestealer Cult for it. I’ll do another post focused on Genestealer Cult goals (heh, cult goals). With that army, given that it’s somewhat limited in scope and model choices–and the models are quite few points–I’m going to go for 365 total painted (including prior to the 2022 calendar year).
Here’s my painting progress, which has been both sky-borne Drukhari and tunnel-infesting Genestealer Cult.
All told a ton of painting. Really pleased with this progress in general, and with the promise of both forces going forward. I’ll need to eventually specialize, lest I end up painting 710 PL haha.
Painting Challenge 2022 Progress
Warhammer 40k Aeldari 2022 Power Level Painted: 25/365
Warhammer 40k Genestealer Cult Total Power Level Painted: 64 / 365
As I mentioned in my prior post, I’m aiming at painting up 365 points of Aeldari for 40k as my 2022 year goal. Which is a pretty ambitious undertaking. I’m doing so because I want to build a Ynnari but mostly Drukhari force for Apocalypse-sized games. I wanted to visualize what I have and want to paint next, sort of a virtual measure of progress toward goals of a pretty big and impressive force. So I did up the following graphic:
I like this because it’s actually a pretty good look at what I’d want the full force to look like eventually. It doesn’t include what I’ve already painted (which is a lot: 47 PL / 980 pts. already finished and magnetized). As I paint going forward, I’ll color in the models I’ve completed. I meant to do this with a T’au project that sort of flubbed as it started early in Covid, but I like the idea and wanted to give it a go.
Mustering a big force like this for me means a few large centerpiece models, plus that whole host of ground troops to be arrayed at their feet. That’s why my next project is a very un-exciting big blob of Kabalite Warriors. Need to have that “look” to the battles of the 41st Millennium: the swathes of infantry being blown up on the landscape where Titans stride.
So it’s a new year, and that means a new painting goal for my hobby gaming. Last year I worked on a lot of models across a lot of different armies, and this year it’s time to focus. I’m going to stick with the one-PL-a-day model for my progress, but keep things clustered in the realm of all things Aeldari. 365 Power Level (or more) of models painted for Aeldari forces. I’m focused on Drukhari, but I plan on splashing in some Craftworlds, Ynnari, and even maybe some Harlequins at some point. It will mean some steady commitment, but I’m arranging some big game events to narratively keep my focus (and painting goals) on track.
I also found the awesome photo of actual galaxies and their connection patterns that I used as the cover photo for this post, and it absolutely reminds of the Webway description from 40k fiction. So I’m going to find a way to do some sort of big webway game soon and use this as the image.
Started the year with a fair push of completing models. Wanted to round out my ability to do a Realspace Raid by adding a Drukhari Haemonculus and a unit of five Wracks to my force.
I definitely will need more Wracks to make the unit durable enough to hold objectives, but it’s at least a start for small games.
Also, finished up the first of two Ravagers. Went for the one with triple disintegrator cannons first. While I know that the one with Dark Lances will be overall more effective in games, the idea of having a strong basis for good AP and 2 damage shots was just too tempting.
Overall a solid start to the year of painting all sorts of Aeldari. Expect to see mostly Drukhari for a long portion of it, tho I’ll surely pick up the new releases that have been teased for the Craftworlds Eldar as I start to mess with those components of a force. And I’ve gotten myself a gift from Forgeworld for the end of the year successful painting that I’ll have to do up once I’ve got a bigger basis for this force. So some good things to look forward to.